Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princeton in Bureau County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Owen Lovejoy Home

 
 
Owen Lovejoy Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 27, 2011
1. Owen Lovejoy Home Marker
Inscription. This two-story frame structure was the home of abolitionist Owen Lovejoy, who was born in Maine in 1811. Lovejoy moved into the house in 1838, when he became a Congregationalist minister. He was leader in the formation of the Republican Party in Illinois, and he served as a representative in the state legislature, 1855-1857, and in the United States Congress from 1857 until his death in 1864. His home was well known as a shelter for runaway slaves. Owen was a younger brother of Elijah Lovejoy, abolitionist editor, who was killed by a mob at Alton in 1837.
 
Erected 1972 by Erected by the committee for the restoration of the Owen Lovejoy Home and the Illinois State Historical Society, 1972.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 41° 22.311′ N, 89° 26.942′ W. Marker is in Princeton, Illinois, in Bureau County. Marker is on East Peru Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton IL 61356, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas History Museum (approx. 7 miles away); Wyanet Soldier's Memorial
Owen Lovejoy Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 27, 2011
2. Owen Lovejoy Home Marker
(approx. 7 miles away); The Hennepin Canal (approx. 8.2 miles away); Isam W. Seaton (1823-1903) and James H. Seaton (1828-1913) (approx. 9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Owen Lovejoy - Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
Colton School image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 27, 2011
3. Colton School
1850-The Red Brick School-1972 Known as the Colton School 1849 land grant by Chauncey Colton-three directors-elected-school constructed 1850-first session 1850-walls 12” thick-cedar shingles-heated by pot bellied stove-outside dimensions 22x26- moved 1 ½ miles from John Nelson Farm to it present location in 1971. Restored 1972. Owned by City of Princeton.
Owen Lovejoy Home Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 27, 2011
4. Owen Lovejoy Home Marker
The Historic Lovejoy Homestead restoration completed 1972. Owned and operated by City of Princeton, Illnois. Board of Trustees, Clifford S. Leonard, Karl G. Lapinska, Robert I. Zearing, Karl M. Nelson M.D., Ex officio Roland H. Eckdahl, mayor.
Inside the Colton School image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 27, 2011
5. Inside the Colton School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 702 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement