Trinity Episcopal Church
The cornerstone of Trinity Episcopal Church was laid in 1890. The present church replaced the congregationís first building, which stood across the street at 1140 First Avenue. Since its foundation in 1834, Trinity has held regular worship services in Columbus. The church added a parish house in 1925-26, with further expansion completed in 1965. Trinity serves the oldest and largest Episcopal congregation in Columbus. The only Gothic Revival church in Columbus, it possesses architectural significance that shows kinship to English countryside churches: Gothic arches and a square bell tower are distinctive features.
The nave seats five hundred. Stained glass memorial windows and marble floors enhance the dignified reverence of the setting. Two large brass chandeliers, originally gas burning, light the nave. Lewis C. Allen and H.H. McClintock served as first Wardens. The Vestry included E.L. De Graffenried, Charles A. Peabody, John Forsyth, Jr., John A. Urquhart, George Hargraves, Jr., John E. Davis, and Mr. Lively. One of Columbusís founders, Dr. De Graffenried, held the charter meeting of the church in his home on First Avenue, then Oglethorpe Street, a site now owned by the church.
Erected 1989 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Location. 32° 28.073′ N, 84° 59.496′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 1st Avenue 0 miles north of 11th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1130 1st Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbian Lodge No. 7, Free & Accepted Masons Columbus, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Columbus (about 500 feet away); Confederate Memorial Day (about 600 feet away); First Black Public School (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (about 800 feet away); The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . Trinity Episcopal Church Act of Incorporation. (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.