The Rankin House
James A. Rankin came to Columbus from Ayrshire, Scotland and in 1839 married Agnes Affleck. Mr. Rankin was a planter and owner of the Rankin Hotel and Rankin Realty Co. This high style Italianate mansion was built between 1860 and 1870. Lawrence Wimberly Wall was the architect. In 1898, the Rankin House, valued at $18,500, was the finest home in Columbus. After the Civil War, Mr. Rankin returned to Scotland and turned the home over to his eldest child, Mrs. Emma Jane Rankin Lockhart. Two of his sons, Edwin and John A. became prominent local businessmen. Granddaughters of James A. Rankin, Mrs. George Walden and Mrs. Albert Driver, lived in the home until the 1950ís.
Miss Emily Woodruff donated the house to the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc. as a memorial to her father, James Waldo Woodruff, Sr. The courtyard is a memorial to Charlie Frank Williams, Sr. Restoration and furnishing were accomplished through the Foundation, the Junior League of Columbus and the Columbus Town Committee of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America. The fence formerly surrounded the Broadway townhouse of Civil War General Henry Lewis Benning.
Erected 2000 by The Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc., Descendants of James A. Rankin, and the Historic
Location. 32° 28.431′ N, 84° 59.413′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Second Avenue (Georgia Route 85) just south of 15th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1440 Second Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philip Thomas Schley (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (about 400 feet away); Haiman's Sword Factory (about 400 feet away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (about 500 feet away); General Benning (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . . The Rankin House website. (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.