The Bullard family lived here for 90 years. Their guests included President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Generals George Patton and George Marshall who dined on “Country Captain,” a popular regional dish originated by the family cook, Arle Mullins.
The house was listed in the National register in 1977 and painstakingly restored in 1978 by the new owners, Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Sampson.
Erected 1991 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation.
Location. 32° 28.377′ N, 84° 59.334′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Third Avenue just north of 14th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1408 Third Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (about
Regarding Bullard-Hart-Sampson House. It is said that the builders of the house, Jackson and Tinsley, went bankrupt during construction "as a result of extravagancy of detail."
Franklin D. Roosevelt was a frequent visitor, and announced his decision to run for governor of New York in a nationwide radio broadcast from the parlor of the house.
The house is believed to have been the first in Columbus to have electricity.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 490 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.