Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cold Spring in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warner Sisters

 
 
Warner Sisters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2011
1. Warner Sisters Marker
Inscription.
View to Constitution Island
preserved by authors
Susan Warner & Anna Warner
who wrote the hymn
“Jesus Loves Me.”   c. 1819-1915
George E. Pataki, Governor

 
Erected 1998 by State of New York.
 
Location. 41° 24.838′ N, 73° 57.485′ W. Marker is in Cold Spring, New York, in Putnam County. Marker is on Market Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located by the water at the Foundry Dock, at the end of Market Street near the Cold Spring train station. Marker is in this post office area: Cold Spring NY 10516, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Foundry Dock Park (within shouting distance of this marker); General George Washington (approx. ¼ mile away); History of West Point Foundry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gouverneur Kemble (approx. 0.4 miles away); World War II Veterans of St. Mary’s (approx. 0.4 miles away); Honor Roll (approx. 0.4 miles away); Philipstown Honor Roll (approx. 0.4 miles away); Joseph A. Percacciolo, Jr. (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Cold Spring.
 
Also see . . .  Information about the Warner Family
Warner Sisters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2011
2. Warner Sisters Marker
Susan and Anna Warner worked with the cadets at West Point, providing them with free religious study. Both sisters are buried in the West Point Cemetery.
. Constitution Island Association website. (Submitted on July 11, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
Marker at the Foundry Dock image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2011
3. Marker at the Foundry Dock
The first fortification in the West Point area, built in 1775, still exists on Constitution Island. During the Revolutionary War, Constitution Island was connected to West Point by a Great Chain which prevented British ships from sailing up the Hudson River.
Constitution Island image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 10, 2011
4. Constitution Island
Constitution Island is seen here from the marker.
Warner Sisters House on Constitution Island image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 24, 2011
5. Warner Sisters House on Constitution Island
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement