Near Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hanover House, built 1714-16 in what is now Berkeley County and moved to the Clemson College campus in 1941, is a fine example of Dutch Colonial architecture. It was built for French Huguenot planter Paul de St. Julien (d. 1741). St. Julienís grandfather Pierre Julien de St. Julien had been granted 3,000 acres on the Cooper River in 1688 by the Lords Proprietors.
When the Public Works Administration (PWA) built the Santee-Cooper Dam, Lake Marion, and Lake Moultrie in 1938-1942 Hanover Plantation was in the area inundated by Lake Moultrie. The house was disassembled, moved to Clemson, and reassembled in 1941, then restored 1954-62. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, the house was moved to the S.C. Botanical Garden in 1994.
Erected 2007 by City of Clemson and Clemson University. (Marker Number 39-12.)
Location. 34° 40.483′ N, 82° 49.083′ W. Marker is near Clemson, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker can be reached from Garden Trail 0.2 miles south of Silas N. Pearman Boulevard (Perimeter Road) (South Carolina Highway S-39-32), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is located in the South Carolina
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Hanover House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hanover House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hayden Conference Center (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hunt Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Luther W. Baxter (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Camellia Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hosta Garden Donors (approx. ľ mile away); The Charles and Betty Cruickshank Hosta Garden (approx. ľ mile away); The T.L. Senn Horticultural Gardens (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clemson.
Also see . . .
1. Hanover House. Clemson University (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled “Hanover House” (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 7. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.