Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fire Station #4

1904 - 1905

 
 
Fire Station #4 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 11, 2011
1. Fire Station #4 Marker
Inscription. Designed by local architect, Lew F. Porter, Fire Station #4 is one of the oldest fire stations remaining in Madison. The tiny windows on the east facade lit horse stalls. The rapid expansion of University Heights, Wingra Park and other near west side neighborhoods at the turn-of-the-century necessitated the construction of the fire house, which was the first built outside of the central city. In 1983, the Fire Department moved and in 1984 the building was sensitively rehabilitated into six townhouse apartments.
 
Erected 1983 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 77.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.262′ N, 89° 24.531′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of West Dayton Street and North Randall Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West Dayton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1329 West Dayton Street, Madison WI 53715, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Randall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Nurses Dormitory (approx. 0.2
Fire Station #4 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 11, 2011
2. Fire Station #4 Marker
The marker is on the lower right side of the north side of the building (pictured here). The doors on this side of the building were apparently for the fire trucks.
miles away); First Chemical Synthesis of a Gene (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barry Alvarez (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneering Human Genetics (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pat Richter (approx. 0.2 miles away); Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Controlling Blood Clotting (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building. (Submitted on July 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Fire Station #4 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 11, 2011
3. Fire Station #4 Marker
The north and west sides of the building are pictured here.
Fire Station #4 image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 12, 2011
4. Fire Station #4
This is the east facade of the building. The tiny windows for the horse stalls as mentioned in the marker must be the two small windows at the far end of this side of the building.
Fire Station #4 image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 11, 2011
5. Fire Station #4
The west side of the building is pictured here.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement