Monches in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Settled predominately by Irish Catholics in the 1840’s, it originally was called O’Connellsville after Irish emancipator, Daniel O’Connell.
In 1848, a meeting was held to nominate the first postmaster. Three men, Swiss miller Henry Kuntz, & two Englishmen, John D. Hartley & John Whipp applied. Hartley was elected postmaster. The village was named Monches, who was part Potawatomi and part Chippewa, and who was buried on Hartley’s farm.
In the 1890’s, the village had two schools, three general stores, the mill, two blacksmith shops, a wagon maker’s shop, post office, meat market, creamery, two doctor’s offices and several taverns. The area today retains the peace & tranquility of earlier times. Near the mill pond, Kuntz’s house, built in 1849, still stands.
Erected 2009 by Waukesha County Historical Society, funded by Monches Recreation Club. (Marker Number 17-01.)
Location. 43° 11.175′ N, 88° 20.502′ W. Marker is in Monches, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker can be reached from Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive (County Road E) 0.1 miles south of Center Oak Road (County Road F). Click for map. Marker is located in Moches Recreation Park. Marker is in this post office area: Hartland WI 53029, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Carl Schurz Forest (approx. half a mile away); Plainview School No. 4 (approx. 3 miles away); Martin C. Weber, Sr. (approx. 3 miles away); Village of Merton (approx. 3.1 miles away); First Baptist Church Of Merton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Holy Hill (approx. 4.1 miles away); Stone Bank (approx. 4.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.