Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Springs in Hamilton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Residents of White Springs

 
 
The Residents of White Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
1. The Residents of White Springs Marker
Inscription.
Florida's native Timucuan Indians lived for hundreds of generations in what is now north Florida and southeast Georgia. Beginning in the 1580s, they were organized into mission villages by Spanish Franciscan priests. While exploitation and epidemics caused native populations to decline, the destruction of Spanish missions early in the eighteenth century by the Carolina militia and their Native American allies also caused the scattering and enslavement of the remaining native populations.

Some of these Native Americans raiders remained and settled in the Timucua's abandoned fields and settlements. Other groups, mainly Creek Indians, left their home territories and relocated in northern Florida. These different tribes, along with runaway slaves from the southern states, became known as the cimarrones, a Spanish word meaning “wild and untamed.” The cimerrones or Seminoles, as they became known, established villages on the east and west sides of the Suwannee River.

After Florida was acquired as a US Territory in 1821, waves of settlers from Georgia and the Carolinas immigrated to north central Florida. While most of the earliest settlers in and around White Springs were subsistence farmers, the timber and phosphate booms also brought a variety of investors and laborers anxious to stake their claim
The Residents of White Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
2. The Residents of White Springs Marker
in the growing community.

With the development and marketing of the mineral spring in the mid-1800s as a tourist destination, new residents were also able to invest and find employment in the town's hotels, restaurants, and service-related businesses.

Today, the residents of White Springs are a combination of recent arrivals and descendants of the original settlers who continue to practice family traditions.
 
Location. 30° 19.731′ N, 82° 45.535′ W. Marker is in White Springs, Florida, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Bridge Street (State Road 136) north of River Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Springs FL 32096, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Florida’s Original Tourist Destination (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); White Sulphur Springs (about 600 feet away); Wars and Conflicts in White Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Apalachee Trail (approx. 12 miles away); Alligator (approx. 12.1 miles away); Confederate Monument (approx. 12.1 miles away); Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 16.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in White Springs.
 
Also see . . .
The Residents of White Springs Marker stands next to the Junction Highway 41 Sign image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
3. The Residents of White Springs Marker stands next to the Junction Highway 41 Sign
 White Springs, Florida - Land of the Swannee River. (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Residents of White Springs image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
4. The Residents of White Springs
Top left: Mary Graham and her sons, John (first black mayor of White Springs), Charles, Bernard, and Elliot, Jr. 1991

Top Right: Hayes Shipman McCallum 1859 - 1920

Center Left: Dr. Benjamin Franklin Camp 1852 - 1929

Center Right: Annie & Nathan Johnson December 26, 1901

Bottom Left: Sophi Jane Broward Adams 1841 - 1914

Bottom Center: William Bennett Town Marshal 1910 -1913

Bottom Right: Queenie Fisher 1900
Adam's Country Store founded in 1865 image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
5. Adam's Country Store founded in 1865
Telford Hotel built in 1902 by W. D. Telford. image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
6. Telford Hotel built in 1902 by W. D. Telford.
Sophia Jane Adams House c. 1893 image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, July 9, 2011
7. Sophia Jane Adams House c. 1893
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement