Plymouth in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Plymouth Consolidated Mines
Erected 2004 by Sutter Creek Promotion Committee and Amador County Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sutter Creek Gold Mine Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 28.558′ N, 120° 50.828′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Pacific Street south of California Highway 49, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9434 Pacific Court, Plymouth CA 95669, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benny Brown Arena (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Arcade Bar (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wheeler Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Plymouth (approx. 0.4 miles away); Memorial Entrance (approx. 0.4 miles away); Drytown Salute to Early Amador Miners (approx. 2.4 miles away); Early Day Butcher Shop (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plymouth.
Regarding Plymouth Consolidated Mines. Amador County’s Gold Mine Trail was established as part of the Amador County Sesquicentennial celebration in 2004. It is a 15 mile driving tour of some of the county’s 300+ gold mines. There are 18 stops on the tour of which Moor Mine is the first.
From the Gold Mine Trail booklet: “After the placer gold rush of 1848-50, miners began to dig into the earth and rock to uncover gold imprisoned in quartz rocks’ deep veins. The largest vein was the Mother Lode between Yosemite (Oakhurst) and Georgetown in El Dorado County. The 20-mile stretch for the Mokelumne River to the Cosumnes river was the richest, producing some $160 million in gold between 1851 and 1842 (current value $5 billion).
The first hard rock mines were found in Amador County in 1851. The original Ministers’ claim and the Spring Hill were soon followed by many others: Lincoln, South Spring Hill, Keystone, Original Amador, and Eureka.
By the 1870s-80s Amador County was working 300+ mines. There were some tunnels, but
Workers came from all over the world to look and work for gold. Most were from Europe: Italy, Yugoslavia, and Cornwall. Many stayed on the settle towns, marry and, raise families. Some mines vanished over the years; others still exist. Of the 300-400 mines, only eight headframes still stand, but may foundations, shafts and surface works remain.”
Also see . . . Gold Districts of California: Jackson-Plymouth. (Submitted on July 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.