Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bayshore Boulevard

 
 
The Bayshore Boulevard Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
1. The Bayshore Boulevard Marker
Inscription. In 1907, Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger constructed the original section of seawall and roadway extending from Swann Avenue to Rome Avenue. This initial section, which was called Bayshore Drive, served Suburb Beautiful, the first residential development along the bayshore. Subsequently, as a result of a 1912 bond issue, 2.3 miles of seawall and roadway were added by Hillsborough County. Thus, the bayshore was expanded to 3.2 miles, transforming the original drive to Bayshore Boulevard.

     The Great Hurricane of 1921 destroyed a substantial portion of the boulevard, resulting in a 1925 reconstruction project. The City of Tampa reconstructed the boulevard within the city limits. Concurrently, Hillsborough County built a new section of boulevard extending from Hawthorne Road to Howard Avenue.

     In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided the resources necessary to once again reconstruct the Bayshore Boulevard as well as build the Bayshore Boat Docks, presently known as the Bayshore Marina. This 1935 project resulted in a wider Bayshore Boulevard extending from Hawthorne Road to the Platt Street Bridge.

     Since 1935, time and storms have taken a toll upon the Bayshore Boulevard. In 1992, under the direction of Mayor Sandra Warshaw Freedman, the Bayshore Boulevard restoration project was
The Bayshore Boulevard Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
2. The Bayshore Boulevard Marker
Seen here at the entrance to the walkway under the Platt Street Bridge, which stretches over the mouth of the Hillsborough River.
completed, resulting in the restoration of the seawall system as well as the realignment of the northbound roadway between Hawthorne Road and Rome Avenue. Thus, Bayshore Boulevard has evolved not only to serve vehicular traffic but also provide a recreational linear green space along four miles of uninterrupted waterfront sidewalk.
 
Erected by the City of Tampa.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 27° 56.484′ N, 82° 27.553′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of Bayshore Boulevard and West Platt Street, on the right when traveling north on Bayshore Boulevard. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the balustrade outside the southern entrance to the pedestrian walkway under the Platt Street Bridge, at the mouth of the Hillsborough River. It is located next to the Columbus Statue Park and at the northern tip of the Bayshore Boulevard Linear Park (both City of Tampa parks). Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Bayshore Boulevard, Tampa FL 33606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World's First Scheduled Commercial Airline (a few steps from this marker); Jose Gasparilla
The Bayshore Boulevard Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
3. The Bayshore Boulevard Marker
Seen here overlooking the Hillsborough River Channel, and beyond it to Harbour Island and the Seddon Channel.
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Mirabella Fish Company (about 500 feet away); Dominican Proto-Martyrs of America (about 500 feet away); Hutchinson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Timuquan Indian Mound (approx. ¼ mile away); Tampa Bay and MacDill (approx. ¼ mile away); Today at MacDill AFB (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the City of Tampa.
 
Regarding The Bayshore Boulevard. The seawall, balustrade, ten foot-wide sidewalk, and adjacent green space along Bayshore Boulevard is known as the Bayshore Boulevard Linear Park and the Bayshore Boulevard Greenway Trail. The 4.5 mile stretch along Hillsborough Bay is said to be the world's longest continuous sidewalk.

The marker faces Columbus Statue Park, which is situated at the north end of the Bayshore Boulevard Linear Park, and features a memorial statue of explorer Christopher Columbus.

The Bayshore Marina, approximately 100 meters south
The Bayshore Boulevard Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
4. The Bayshore Boulevard Marker
Seen in the lower left, at the beginning of the sidewalk and balustrade. Beyond it is the Hillsborough River Channel where it divides into the Seddon and Davis Channels, and Davis Islands.
of the marker, is where the José Gasparilla is berthed. The vessel leads the pirate invasion flotilla during Tampa's annual Gasparilla Pirate Festival.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesRoads & Vehicles
 
Bayshore Boulevard image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
5. Bayshore Boulevard
The seawall, balustrade, and sidewalk continue from the historical marker south to the Bayshore Marina (left), and beyond that for another 4 miles.
The <i>José Gasparilla</i> at Bayshore Marina image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
6. The José Gasparilla at Bayshore Marina
When not commandeered by pirates at the annual Gasparilla Festival, the ship is berthed along Bayshore Boulevard.
Bayshore Seawall Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
7. Bayshore Seawall Plaque
This plaque is mounted on the balustrade at the southern end of the seawall and sidewalk.

Bayshore Seawall
Erected1926
by
Board of County Commissioners
Hillsborough County, Florida.
W.T. Williams, Chairman.
Chas. T. Friend, Chairman.
O. A. Ayala.
D. R. Crum.
John T. Gunn.
J. R. Hendry.
J. N. Holmes.
Alan B. Pimm, County Engineer.
McGucken, McGucken & Edwards
James G. Yeats. Company.
Contractors
Bayshore Boulevard Restoration Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
8. Bayshore Boulevard Restoration Plaque
Three plaques are mounted midway along the balustrade: one of the City of Tampa seal, a "Bayshore Seawall" plaque identical to the one at the southern end, and one which reads as follows..

Bayshore Boulevard Restoration
1991
Sandra W. Freedman, Mayor
City Council 1989
Lee Duncan, Chairman • Eddie Caballero • Joe Greco • Perry Harvey • Ronnie Mason • Linda Saul-Sena • Larry Smith
City Council 1991
Joe Greco, Chairman • Eddie Caballero • Rudy Fernandez • Perry Harvey • Ronnie Mason • Scott Paine • Linda Saul-Sena
Joseph Abrahams, Administrator
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Services
R. Michael Salmon, Administrator
Water Resources & Public Works
Design Consortium, Ltd.
Dames and Moore
Reynolds, Smith and Hills, Inc.
Kissenger Campo & Associates
Consultants
David Nelson Construction Co., Contractor
Southern end of Bayshore's Seawall and Sidewalk image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
9. Southern end of Bayshore's Seawall and Sidewalk
Beyond the balustrade are Hillsborough Bay, and in the distance, downtown Tampa.
Bayshore Balustrade and Seawall image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
10. Bayshore Balustrade and Seawall
Public Art along Bayshore Boulevard image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
11. Public Art along Bayshore Boulevard
"Family of Man" by Geoffrey Naylor is one of several artworks situated along Bayshore.
Columbus Statue Park image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
12. Columbus Statue Park
The Bayshore Boulevard marker is barely visible behind the right edge of the Christopher Columbus Monument.
Christopher Columbus Monument along Bayshore Boulevard image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
13. Christopher Columbus Monument along Bayshore Boulevard
Christopher Columbus Monument (Right Face) image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
14. Christopher Columbus Monument (Right Face)
The Caravel
NIÑA

This memorial erected by
contributions from
patriotic Americans.
Christopher Columbus Monument (Left Face) image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
15. Christopher Columbus Monument (Left Face)
The Caravel
PINTA

Monument Committee
Curtis Hixon, Mayor & Exo. Ch.
Charles G. Spicola, Chairman
Homer W. Hesterly, Vice Ch.
Franklin O. Adams, Jr., Architect
Albert Sabas, Sculptor
Christopher Columbus Monument (Rear Face) image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 31, 2010
16. Christopher Columbus Monument (Rear Face)
The Flagship
SANTA MARIA

Sponsored by
Rotary Club of Ybor City
Dedicated Oct. 12, 1953
Downtown Tampa viewed from the southern end of Bayshore image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 18, 2011
17. Downtown Tampa viewed from the southern end of Bayshore
The white line in the distance where the water meets the land is the northern section of Bayshore Boulevard.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   10, 11. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   17. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement