Metamora in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canal Front Dry Goods Store
First known as the firm of Jenks Banes & Calvin Jones.
Harry & Alvin Blacklidge 1852-57
Mahlon & Milton Gordon 1857-92
Wm. N. Gordon started banking business in west half 1910. Later relocating across the canal. East half was Caroline Gordons Candle Shop. Back addition was an old icehouse. Upstairs was Community Hall for dancing, roller skating and yearly traveling medicine show.
Location. 39° 26.797′ N, 85° 8.101′ W. Marker is in Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on Pennington Road (Main Street) west of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located in the South side of Metamora - over the Canal and to the West. Marker is in this post office area: Metamora IN 47030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jenks and Martindale Grocery (within shouting distance of this marker); Metamora Masonic Lodge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Camp's Store (about 400 feet away); Metamora Grist Mill (about 400 feet away); Martindale Hotel (about Metamora Christian Church (about 700 feet away); Whitewater Canal State Historic Site (about 700 feet away); Ben Franklin III (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Metamora.
Also see . . . Metamora Official Web Site : :. The many links will help to enjoy Metamora. ! ! (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.