Near Benton in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site Of The First School House In Elkhart County
Erected 1931 by Elkhart County Teacher's Association.
Location. 41° 30.6′ N, 85° 46.833′ W. Marker is near Benton, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is on County Road 44 one mile west of U.S. 33, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. From US 33 in Benton, IN, go west on County Road 44 to the intersection of County Road 44 and County Road 31. Continue west (straight) on CR 44 to the marker. The marker will be clearly visible on the south (left) side of the road, just west of the entrance to Jackson Cemetery. Total distance from US 33 is approximately 1 mile. Marker is in this post office area: Goshen IN 46526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jackson Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Five Medals Village (approx. 1.9 miles away); Wyland Brothers Landing (approx. 2 miles away); New Paris World War II Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); Waterford Elementary School (approx. 3.3 miles A History of the Winona / Bethany Christian Schools (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Engines of the Winona (approx. 3.7 miles away); Violett Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.