Atchison in Atchison County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
“walked on Shore above this Creek”
"...Capt. Lewis walked on Shore above this Creek and discovered a high moun from the top of which he had an extensive view, 3 paths Concentering at the moun..."
July 4, 1804
The U.S. Army expedition led by Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark paused here on July 4, 1804. It is possible that the mound that Clark described is the bluff that rises above this site.
In his journal, Captain Clark enumerated the members of the expedition, concluding with:
"1 Corpl & 4 Privates in a Perogue to be sent back from Plate river
Mr. Dueron [Dorion] inteptr for the Sues
Capt. Lewis my Self & York
in all 46 men July 4
4 horses & a Dog"
[Caption accompanying the dog illustration reads] Lewis' Newfoundland dog Seaman accompanied the expedition. Seaman was a strong swimmer, exceptional hunter, and stalwart guard. His contributions made him a valued member of the party. Most expedition members came to refer to Seaman as "our dog."
[Caption accompanying the map reads] Lewis and Clark bestowed names to landmarks across the West. In what is now Atchison County, they named two local streams. One, Independence Creek, remains on maps even today. The other, 4th of July 1804 Creek, was renamed White Clay Creek after Atchison was settled in 1854. The map pictured above
Erected by Kansas Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission and Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 39° 33.704′ N, 95° 6.832′ W. Marker is in Atchison, Kansas, in Atchison County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road and Commercial Street, on the right when traveling north on River Road. Click for map. Marker is at the Riverfront Park pavilion. Marker is in this post office area: Atchison KS 66002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lewis and Clark Expedition (here, next to this marker); Homeland of the Kanza Indians (a few steps from this marker); "the water...contains a half...Glass of ooze" (a few steps from this marker); Atchison Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); USS Arizona Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis Discovers a High Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); Under a large Cottonwood... (within shouting distance of this marker); Atchison WWI Factory Supported Freedom (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Atchison.
Also see . . .
1. Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Atchison Riverfront Park. (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. Atchison County Historical Society. (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Animals • Exploration • Patriots & Patriotism • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.