Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Princeton University

 
 
Princeton University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
1. Princeton University Marker
Dei Sub Numine Viget is the motto for Princeton University. Its English translation is “Under God's Power She Flourishes”.
Inscription.
Princeton University
1726 † † † 1746 † † † 11796
The Log College
Opened 1726 at Neshaminy,
was discontinued in 1746,
when members of the Synods
of New York and Philadelphia
and supporters of
the Log College
united in the organization of
The College of New Jersey
at Elizabeth Town.
First charter granted Oct. 22, 1746
by King George the Second
through John Hamilton,
acting Governor in Chief
of the Province of New Jersey.
Second charter granted Sept. 13, 1748
by King George the Second
through Jonathan Belcher, M.A.
Governor in Chief
of the Province of New Jersey.
On Oct. 22, 1896, the name of
the College of New Jersey
was changed to
Princeton University
Dei Sub Numine Viget

 
Location. 40° 20.929′ N, 74° 39.562′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Nassau Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of Princeton University. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08542, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nassau Hall (here, next to this marker); Princeton Speech (here, next to this marker); 250th Anniversary of Princeton University
Princeton University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
2. Princeton University Marker
The marker is located to the left of the front door at Nassau Hall.
(within shouting distance of this marker); English Boxwood Plants (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Henry House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presidentís House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reunion Hall (about 300 feet away); Princeton WW2 Memorial (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Princeton.
 
Categories. Education
 
Marker at Nassau Hall image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
3. Marker at Nassau Hall
Princeton University image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
4. Princeton University
Nassau Hall at Princeton University image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2011
5. Nassau Hall at Princeton University
Nassau Hall was built in 1754 and was the main building of the Princeton campus. It was occupied by the British and American armies during the Revolutionary War. Princeton also served as Capital of the United States when Congress met in Nassau Hall in 1783.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement