Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Council Bluffs in Pottawattamie County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Historic General Dodge House

 
 
The Historic General Dodge House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 28, 2011
1. The Historic General Dodge House Marker
Inscription. Built by General Grenville M. Dodge in 1869 and designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of Interior of the National Park Service in 1963. Acquired as a museum through public donations and restored by the Council Bluffs Park Department and the Dodge House Board of Trustees. Council Bluffs Park Commission. J. Frederic Schlott, Charles R. Hannan, Everett L. Shockey.
 
Erected by Council Bluffs Park Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 41° 15.316′ N, 95° 50.882′ W. Marker is in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in Pottawattamie County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and Story Street, on the right when traveling east on 3rd Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 3rd Street, Council Bluffs IA 51503, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The National Humane Alliance Fountain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grenville M. Dodge (approx. mile away); Squirrel Cage Jail (approx. mile away); Council Bluffs Free Public Library (approx. mile away);
General Dodge House image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 28, 2011
2. General Dodge House
Council Bluffs Veterans Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spanish War Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mormon Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Council Bluffs.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Dodge House website. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
General Dodge House (1869) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 10, 2010
3. General Dodge House (1869)
The 14 room Victorian mansion has been restored by the Council Bluffs Parks Department and Historic General Dodge House Board of Trustees, and is now open as a museum.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 639 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement