Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The First Presbyterian Church

 
 
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
1. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Organized as the Presbyterian Church of Macon on June 18, 1826, by the Rev. Benjamin Gildersleeve and the Rev. Joseph C. Stiles, the church dedicated this house of worship, its third, on September 19, 1858, at the close of the ministry of the Rev. Robert L. Breck. Mr. Stiles was the first pastor; Matthew Robertson and Samuel B. Hunter, ordained October 14, 1827, the first elders.

This church was host for formation of the Synod of Georgia in 1844 with Dr. Thomas Goulding, founder and first president of Columbia Seminary, as moderator. His son, the Rev. Francis R. Goulding, author of The Young Marooners, served here in the 60’s by preaching to the Negro members, who withdrew to form Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1866. This is the mother Church also of Tattnall Square (1887), Vineville (1904), and East Macon (1906),

It was the younger Goulding who took over the city-wide Thanksgiving service commanded here by Union General Wilson at the close of the War Between the States because the pastor, the Rev. David Willis, was overcome by the mockery of the occasion. Goulding’s service consisted of reading Psalm 137 ".. For they that carried us away captive required of us a song.. ".

In the church vestibule is a plaque honoring Sidney Lanier, who was a member here.
 
Erected
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
2. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-17.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 50.313′ N, 83° 37.761′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and 1st Street, on the right when traveling east on Mulberry Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 682 Mulberry Street, Macon GA 31210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mulberry Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); Bibb County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia (about 800 feet away); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (about 800 feet away); Wilson's Raid To Macon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Macon.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
The First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
3. The First Presbyterian Church Marker
The marker with the church entrance in the background
The First Presbyterian Church of Macon image. Click for full size.
4. The First Presbyterian Church of Macon
The First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Kenneth Kay, 1981
5. The First Presbyterian Church
Photo courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   5. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement