“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bryantown in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Village of Bryantown

Commercial Center


—John Wilkes Booth - Escape of an Assassin —

Village of Bryantown Civil War Trails Marker image. Click for full size.
May 26, 2007
1. Village of Bryantown Civil War Trails Marker
Inscription. This building in the Bryantown Tavern, constructed about 1815. On April 15, 1865, the morning after President Lincoln’s assassination, Lt. David D. Dana made it his headquarters while pursuing John Wilkes Booth, the assassin, with a detachment of the 13th New York Cavalry. Unknown to Dana, Booth was only four miles north at the home of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, who treated Booth’s broken leg. Though Booth had visited Bryantown several times in 1864, he did not pass through here during his escape, but swung east after leaving Mudd’s house. Col. Henry H. Wells, in overall command of the pursuing forces, soon occupied the tavern, and it later served briefly as the headquarters of Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, who arrived on April 27. In the interim, Mudd and others were brought here for questioning, and several (including the doctor) remained here before they were transferred to jail in Washington.

(Sidebar): The crossroads village of Bryantown dates to the colonial era, and by its heyday in the 1850s, it had become a commercial center with stores, mills, and taverns. During the Civil War, James H. Montgomery operated the tavern. Of its seventeen antebellum buildings, only four remain standing, and one of these is the Bryantown Tavern. The tavern is the oldest commercial structure in Charles County. It served as an inn and post
Bryantown Tavern image. Click for full size.
May 26, 2007
2. Bryantown Tavern
office for more than a century, and is now a private home.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 33.293′ N, 76° 50.572′ W. Marker is in Bryantown, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is on Trotter Road (State Highway 5), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bryantown MD 20617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boarman's Manor (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rev. Lawrence Anthony Bender, S.S. (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Mary’s Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Home of Dr. Samuel Mudd (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dr. Samuel A. Mudd (approx. 3.9 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bryantown.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a photo of Bryantown after the Civil War. To the right of the main text is a photo of Bryantown Tavern. On the right is a map of the Booth Escape route with stars indicating Civil War Trails stops.
Additional keywords. John Wilkes Booth Escape Route
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 2,720 times since then and 149 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement