Cathedral of Immaculate Conception
Christianity carried to this part of the New World in 1600's by Catholic missionaries. Land formerly part of burial ground for Miami Indians.
Major portion of Cathedral square purchased by Fr. Stephan Baden, 1831. Remaining land acquired by Fr. Julian Benoit, chief architect and first rector of the Cathedral.
Cornerstone laid June 19, 1859. Dedicated December 8, 1860 on the feast of the Immaculate Conception.
Diocese of Fort Wayne established 1857. John H. Luers, First Bishop.
Location. 41° 4.541′ N, 85° 8.295′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is on Clinton Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1122 South Clinton Street, Fort Wayne IN 46802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richardville (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Police Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Journal Gazette Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother George (approx.
Also see . . . History of the Cathedral of Immaculate Conception, Fort Wayne, IN. (Submitted on July 28, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Autumn N. Potts of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Autumn N. Potts of Fort Wayne, Indiana. 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.