Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ironwood in Gogebic County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Norrie Park

 
 
Norrie Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
1. Norrie Park Marker
Inscription. This recreational area was named in honor of A. Lanfear Norrie, who in 1882 began to explore for iron ore on the Gogebic Range. His discovery resulted in the opening of the Norrie Mine in Ironwood. Soon other mines, such as the Ashland, Aurora, Pabst, and Newport were booming in these bustling locations. Ironwood is said to have been named after the mining “captain,” James Wood, who was nicknamed “Iron” Wood. After a destructive fire in 1887, the community was rebuilt.
 
Erected 1960. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 46° 25.958′ N, 90° 9.714′ W. Marker is near Ironwood, Michigan, in Gogebic County. Marker can be reached from Norrie Park Road. Click for map. Marker is located in Norrie Park. Take Lowell Street south out of Ironwood, which becomes Alfred Wright Blvd., and turns into Norrie Park Road south of town. Marker is in this post office area: Ironwood MI 49938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This 5 ½ Foot Diameter Drill Core (approx. 1.4 miles away in Wisconsin); Penokee Iron Range Trail – Historic Iron County Courthouse
Norrie Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
2. Norrie Park Marker
(approx. 1.5 miles away in Wisconsin); Curry House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pabst Mine "H" Shaft (approx. 2 miles away); The Truth Behind the Legend of Stormy Kromer (approx. 2.3 miles away); Newport Hill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Iron Mining in Wisconsin (approx. 2.6 miles away in Wisconsin); Penokee Iron Range Trail – Gile Falls (approx. 3.1 miles away in Wisconsin). Click for a list of all markers in Ironwood.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Norrie Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
3. Norrie Park Marker
looking north towards park entrance
Norrie Park Marker Small sign to right. image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
4. Norrie Park Marker Small sign to right.
Norrie Park was rededicated during Michigan Week 1960 as a community project, sponsored by Ironwood’s City Commission, Erwin Township, and the Kiwanis Club of Ironwood.
Norrie Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
5. Norrie Park Marker
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp Norrie Company 3601 Camp Norrie was an active CCC camp on this site from 1933-1942. The Civilian Conservation Corps was an outstanding Federal program which provided young men with an opportunity to work on conservation projects in forests and parks throughout the United States. The young men of Camp Norrie did reforestation work, fought forest fires and constructed and maintained roads, trails and campgrounds, most notably at Black River Harbor and Little Girl’s Point This plaque is presented to the citizens of Ironwood in 2008 by Emil Sabol, a native of Ironwood and former member of Co. 3601.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement