Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ironwood in Gogebic County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Curry House

 
 
Curry House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
1. Curry House Marker
West side of two sided marker
Inscription. Here lived Solomon S. Curry, pioneer in the mining industry of the Ironwood area. Curry, a progressive, broad-minded man, was also instrumental in the building of the city of Ironwood, which through his efforts, grew from a wilderness to one of the major cities in northern Michigan. A Democrat, Curry was elected State Representative in 1874 and was a candidate for lieutenant governor in 1896. Restored to its original appearance, the Curry House has Tiffany windows, nineteenth century light fixtures, and ornate woodwork.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 560.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 46° 27.324′ N, 90° 9.644′ W. Marker is in Ironwood, Michigan, in Gogebic County. Marker is at the intersection of McLeod Street and Day St., on the right when traveling east on McLeod Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 631 E. McLeod St., Ironwood MI 49938, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Truth Behind the Legend of Stormy Kromer (approx. one mile away); Pabst Mine "H" Shaft
Curry House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
2. Curry House Marker
east side of two sided marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Penokee Iron Range Trail – Historic Iron County Courthouse (approx. 1.2 miles away in Wisconsin); This 5 ½ Foot Diameter Drill Core (approx. 1.2 miles away in Wisconsin); Norrie Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Newport Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Iron Mining in Wisconsin (approx. 1.7 miles away in Wisconsin); Flambeau Trail - Little Finland (approx. 3.1 miles away in Wisconsin). Click for a list of all markers in Ironwood.
 
Regarding Curry House. Information from the Ironwood Historical Society

The 18 room Solomon S. Curry mansion was constructed in 1895. It was dedicated as a Michigan Registered Historical site on Memorial Day, 1978. It still retains its original stained-glass Tiffany windows. All inside woodwork, banisters and fireplaces have been restored to original condition or replaced by fixtures of the period by the (then) owners, Mr. & Mrs. Tim Kornwolf. Solomon S. Curry was a pioneer in the mining industry and instrumental in building the City of Ironwood.
 
Categories. LandmarksNotable Buildings
 
Curry House image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
3. Curry House
House from in front of McLeod Street
Curry House image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, July 18, 2011
4. Curry House
from corner of McLeod and Day Streets
Curry House Tiffany Windows image. Click for full size.
By Diana Raush, circa July 2011
5. Curry House Tiffany Windows
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 651 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on , by Diana Raush of West Des Moines, Iowa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement