Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Las Cruces in Dona Ana County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Fort Selden State Monument

1865-1891

 
 
Fort Selden State Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 21, 2011
1. Fort Selden State Monument Marker
Inscription. Fort Selden was established to protect settlers and railroad construction crews in the Mesilla Valley and the Jornada del Muerto from Apaches. The first regular army troops to garrison it were four companies of the black 125th Infantry. General Douglas MacArthur spent two years of his childhood here. The Fort was finally abandoned in 1891.
 
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro marker series.
 
Location. 32° 33.165′ N, 106° 55.4′ W. Marker is near Las Cruces, New Mexico, in Dona Ana County. Marker is on Interstate 25 at milepost 22.8, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in the southbound rest area. Marker is in this post office area: Las Cruces NM 88007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paraje San Diego (a few steps from this marker); Jornada del Muerto (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Jornada del Muerto (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Paraje San Diego (approx. 0.2
Rear of Fort Selden State Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 21, 2011
2. Rear of Fort Selden State Monument Marker
miles away); Fort Selden Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Rio Grandé Bridge at Radium Springs (approx. 4.5 miles away); a different marker also named Jornada del Muerto (approx. 4.6 miles away); Paraje de Robledo (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Las Cruces.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Seldon. Built on the banks of the Rio Grande, this adobe fort housed units of the U.S. Infantry and Cavalry. Their intent was to protect settlers and travelers in the Mesilla Valley. (Submitted on August 1, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative Americans
 
View south of three markers at this rest stop. image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 21, 2011
3. View south of three markers at this rest stop.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the ruins of the fort. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement