Council Grove in Morris County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Malcolm Conn Store
—Philomathian Heritage Plaque —
Built by Malcolm Conn for mercantile business, it was the second pioneer business erected in the present business district.
First known as "Stone Store", later as "Pioneer Store."
Travelers traveling the Santa Fe Trail were welcome to sleep on the floor as long as space was available. The only requirement was that they furnish their own buffalo robes.
The second story housed the city library from 1898 to 1916.
Erected by G. F. W. C. Philomathian Club.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Santa Fe Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 39.656′ N, 96° 29.421′ W. Marker is in Council Grove, Kansas, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Neosho Street (State Highway 177) and Main Street (U.S. 56), on the left when traveling south on Neosho Street. Click for map. Marker is at the base of the fire escape. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 West Main Street, Council Grove KS 66846, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Council Grove (a few steps from this marker); Conn Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Council Grove National Bank Building Farmers & Drovers Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); A Well-furnished Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Hays House (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Lodge Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cottage House Hotel and Motel (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Council Grove.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.