Troy in Rensselaer County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Cross
Holy Cross 1844
Its Rectory 1857
The Mary Warren Free
Institute School 1862
Are Listed Upon
The National Register of
Historic Places in Recognition
of their Architectural and
Location. 42° 43.946′ N, 73° 41.012′ W. Marker is in Troy, New York, in Rensselaer County. Marker is on 8th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 136 8th St, Troy NY 12180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); W & L E Gurley Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Fire of 1862 (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of 1819 Fifth Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ebenezer Emmons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to the Collar City! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Uncle Sam Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Locking Through (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Troy.
Regarding Church of the Holy Cross. The Church of the Holy Cross was founded by Mary Warren in the early 1840's. Under the direction
Mary Warren's son, Nathan B. Warren, carried on the building project, employing Alexander Jackson Davis to design the original church in 1843, Richard Upjohn to expand the chancel in 1848, and Henry Dudley to complete the proposed additions to the ante-chapel suggested by the Ante-Chapel at New College, Oxford, England. The altarpiece for the original church, representing "The Evening of the Crucifixion", was presented to the church by Robert W. Weir, Professor of Drawing at West Point. The Bible was given by Amos S. Perry, a resident of Troy, and the prayer books were an offering from the Clergy of Northern New York who gave them as an expression of sympathy for the death of the founder and respect for her family's continuation
The first rector of the church, the Reverend John Ireland Tucker, held that office for fifty years. During this time he was prominently identified with Episcopal Church music. He was editor and/or author of prefaces for The Hymnal, With Tunes Old and New (1873), The Service Book of Anglican Chants and Gregorian Tones (1878) and The Hymnal, Revised and Enlarged [1894) which became popularly known as the 'Second Tucker,' During his administration, the Church of the Holy Cross instituted the first full choral service in an Episcopal church in the United States, The impact of religious music on the congregation must have been of increasingly important concern to the Warren family and the Church of the Holy Cross; in 1865 the Mary Warren Free Institute was completed, adjoining the church on the south, and dedicated to the teaching of religion and church music.
Facing a dwindling parish size and financial troubles, like many others across denominations, the Episcopal church held its last Mass at the Church of the Holy Cross on the afternoon of December 6, 2009 before closing down. Discussions to sell the building to the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, which the 1840s-era structure sits adjacent to, have been ongoing for some time.
Also see . . . Troy's Church of the Holy Cross on Archiplanet. (Submitted on August 3, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.