“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty Hill in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Liberty Hill Cemetery

Liberty Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson
1. Liberty Hill Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Weathered gravestones show usage of this spot for burials since 1852, when the earliest settlers were establishing homes in area. The first formal grant of land here as a community burial ground was made by John T. and Amelia Edwards Bryson in 1875, when three and one-half acres were deeded to the Liberty Hill cemetery trustees: T. N. Bryson, C. C. Chance, W. H. Poole, J. B. Roddy, and T. S. Snyder. This acreage was protected by a stone fence built with their own hands by the Brysons and their neighbors. Additions to original plot include land formerly owned by John T. Bryson and donated by Dr. and Mrs. H. L. Fowler. Royal Arch Masons in 1932 established an adjacent three-acre Masonic cemetery, later transferring title to the Liberty Hill Lodge No. 432, A.F. & A.M., which gave it in 1959 to the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association.

By later land purchases, the cemetery now contains more than twenty acres. Funds have come by bequests from Walter Gardner, Arthur Gray, and T. L. McDaniel. Many other persons have also contributed to funds for the cemetery. In 1953 the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association was incorporated, with Dr. J. Gordon Bryson as president; C. L. Chance, vice president; C. F. Hickman, treasurer; and Mrs. Letitia Russell, secretary.
Erected 1971 by the Texas Historical Survey
Liberty Hill Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, October 2, 2010
2. Liberty Hill Cemetery Marker
Photo of marker in context, just outside the front entrance, off highway 29.
Committee. (Marker Number 9290.)
Location. 30° 40.741′ N, 97° 56.877′ W. Marker is in Liberty Hill, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of Texas Route 29 and County Route 277, on the left when traveling west on State Route 29. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Hill TX 78642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William O. Spencer (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John G. Matthews (about 600 feet away); Bryson Stagecoach Stop (approx. mile away); First Baptist Church of Liberty Hill (approx. half a mile away); Stubblefield Building (approx. 1.8 miles away); Liberty Hill Masonic Hall (approx. 1.9 miles away); Liberty Hill Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Concord School (approx. 4.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Liberty Hill.
Also see . . .  Smithwick Cemetery Historical Marker. A.J. Stanford, referenced on historical marker in Smithwick, TX, is buried at Liberty Hill Cemetery. (Submitted on October 7, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,174 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement