Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blades in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blades United Methodist Church

 
 
Blades United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Blades United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Formerly known as Cannon's Chapel, the first church building was constructed in the early 1870's on East High Street (then known as Concord Road). The Church was incorporated on July 16, 1877. In 1887, the Trustees of the Church purchased land at the present site on Main Street from the heirs of James M. Blades. A new structure was built and dedicated on January 13, 1889. In honor of Rev. William Benson Gregg, the Church was renamed the Gregg Methodist Episcopal Church. Incorporated again on January 26, 1921, the Church was remodeled, expanded and renamed Blades Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1972, the name Blades United Methodist Church was adopted.
 
Erected 1994 by Delaware State Archives. (Marker Number SC-100.)
 
Location. 38° 38.074′ N, 75° 36.588′ W. Marker is in Blades, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street (Business U.S. 13) and 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south on Market Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 S. Market Street, Blades DE 19973, Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Seaford Post Office (approx. half a mile away); The Delaware Railroad
Blades UMC image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. Blades UMC
(approx. half a mile away); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. 0.6 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 0.7 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,309 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement