“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kearney in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Boyd House

Boyd House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
1. Boyd House Marker
Inscription. The Boyd House, first frame house in Buffalo County, was built just west of present-day Gibbon in 1864 by brothers James E. and Joseph Boyd. It was the family home of James and Ann Boyd and their children. The two brothers came to the area in the early 1850s and built a stopping place for overland travelers heading westward. These stopping places were called road ranches and provided travelers with needed goods and services. The Boyd Ranche consisted of several buildings, including a barn, blacksmith shop, and post office. By 1854 it was known as Nebraska Centre. It was considered by the Nebraska Territorial Legislature to be the county seat, although most business was transacted in Hall County. James Boyd was a member of the Nebraska Territorial Legislature in 1866 representing the joint district of Platte, Merrick, Hall, and Buffalo counties. Mr. Boyd engaged in overland freighting during the 1860s and also had a contract with the Union Pacific to grade the land used for the tracks. He became wealthy because of this contract and moved his family to Omaha in 1868. He remained active in business and politics. James E. Boyd was the seventh governor of Nebraska from 1891 until 1893. The Boyd House was moved to the grounds of the Trails and Rails Museum of the Buffalo County Historical Society in 1993.
Boyd House image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
2. Boyd House
1993 by Buffalo County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 41.04′ N, 99° 5.535′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is on West 11th Street. Click for map. Located at the Trails and Rails Museum Complex. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German Baptist Church of the Brethren (within shouting distance of this marker); Loup River Freighter Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelton Union Pacific Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baldwin Engine 481 (about 300 feet away); Historic Kearney (about 700 feet away); Kearney: From the Beginning (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 0.9 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kearney.
Also see . . .  James E. Boyd - Nebraska State Historical Society. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 482 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement