University of Nebraska at Kearney
In 1921 the school was renamed the Nebraska State Teachers College at Kearney and became a four-year college. The granting of liberal arts degrees was authorized in 1949, and a graduate program was established in 1956. The name was changed to Kearney State College in 1963.
On July 1, 1991, the institution became part of the University of Nebraska, to be known as the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK). Under its various names, UNK has played an important role in state development and continues to meet the educational, research, and service needs of Nebraska.
Erected by University of Nebraska at Kearney, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 125.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker
Location. 40° 41.995′ N, 99° 5.652′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of 9th Avenue and U.S. 30, on the right when traveling south on 9th Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kearney State College Memorial Carillon Tower (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hostetler Amphitheatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kearney Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Empress Theatre (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Kearney: From the Beginning (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kearney.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.