Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kearney in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile

 
 
Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
1. Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile Marker
Inscription. The Lincoln Highway Association was founded in 1913 to promote a transcontinental automobile route from new York City to San Francisco. Dedicated on October 31, 1913, the route was marked by the letter “L” within red, white, and blue bands painted on telephone poles or signs.

The association conceived the Seedling Mile program to demonstrate the use of concrete as a roadway surface, including projects in Buffalo County and Hall County in Nebraska. The Kearney Commercial Club raised funds to construct a Seedling Mile on West 24th Street from present-day 19th Avenue to 30th Avenue, formerly a dirt road. The Kearney Daily Hub of November 5, 1915, described the completed project: “The road is amply wide enough to make possible the passage of two loaded hayracks without interference.”

From 1947 to 1987 this location was the site of the Hammer Motel, famous for its sign topped by a giant hammer and three supporting poles made to look like nails. The building then served as student housing for the University of Nebraska at Kearney until 1995, when it was razed.
 
Erected 2010 by National & Nebraska Lincoln Highway Association,Buffalo County Historical Society, Kearney Visitor Bureau, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 488.)
 
Marker series.

Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles T. Harrell, June 29, 2011
2. Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile Marker
This marker is included in the Lincoln Highway, and the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 41.97′ N, 99° 6.298′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is on U.S. 30, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68849, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hostetler Amphitheatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kearney State College Memorial Carillon Tower (approx. half a mile away); University of Nebraska at Kearney (approx. 0.6 miles away); Baldwin Engine 481 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Shelton Union Pacific Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Loup River Freighter Hotel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Kearney Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); German Baptist Church of the Brethren (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kearney.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 717 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement