Madonna of the Trail
Conceived by Arlene B. Moss of St. Louis, Missouri, the statue was sculpted by August Leimbach. This specific monument, the first to be placed, was dedicated on July 4th, 1928. In attendance was Harry S. Truman, President of the National Old Trails Association and future U.S. President.
The original National Road extended from Cumberland, MD to Vandalia, IL. Often referred to as the Cumberland Road, it was constructed between 1811 and 1839. The road reached Springfield, Ohio in 1838.
The finished was model of the Madonna of the Trail statue pictured in 1927 with August Leimbach, the artist, and Mrs. John Trigg Moss of the DAR
All of the Madonnas are identical. They were cast in an amalgam of crushed granite, stone,
Dedication inscriptions are carved into the base. The text of the inscriptions varies with the site.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Madonnas of the Trail, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 55.569′ N, 83° 50.911′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Ohio, in Clark County. Marker is on West National Road just from Snyder Park Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield OH 45504, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The National Road (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsylvania House / The National Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Snyder Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Davey Moore Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Eliza D. Stewart (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clark County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); John Ludlow (approx. 1.6 miles away); Oliver Smith Kelly (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Springfield.
Related markers. Click
Also see . . . Madonna takes her place in downtown’s future park. The Springfield Madonna of the Trails was moved to downtown Springfield in September 2011. (Submitted on September 24, 2011, by John Swank of Piqua, Oh Usa.)
1. This Madonna of the Trail Statue has been moved.
The Madonna of the Trail in Springfield, Ohio was moved on September 21, 2011 to a site at the newly developed National Road Commons park in downtown Springfield. The Springfield Madonna was originally placed near the Masonic Home at the west edge of Springfield, and then was moved to a site just to the east near the entrance of Snyder Park. Snyder Park site was dangerous to access as there was no sidewalk and one had to park alongside a busy road and then jump a guardrail.
The markers and statue have been moved to;
46 West Main Street, Springfield, Ohio
latitude 39.924749 N
longitude 83.811173 W
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 6, 7. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 8. submitted on , by John Swank of Piqua, Oh Usa. 9. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 10. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 11, 12. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Coordinates for the new location. • Can you help?