Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Movie House

circa 1907

 
 
First Movie House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. First Movie House Marker
Inscription. Around 1907 V. Ward Gould and Arthur Voyle opened DeLand's first silent movie business here. With straight backed chairs for the audience and sheeting for a screen, they rigged up a projection booth and hired a pianist to furnish the music. The film was hand-cranked, and its speed was regulated by the operator. Film breaks were to be expected. Any movie with a railroad train in it or fire apparatus running to a fire was popular. But perhaps the peak of entertainment was reached when the film operator, well-noted for "tipping the jug" while at work, ran the film backwards with unexpected results. It was a comedy hit! Admission: 10 cents.
 
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 29° 1.745′ N, 81° 18.221′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the side of the building, to the right of the storefront windows at 103 West Indiana Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 West Indiana Avenue, Deland FL 32720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
First Movie House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. First Movie House Marker
The marker is seen to the right of the restaurant's front windows.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Post Office (a few steps from this marker); Landis-Fish Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Commercial Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First Public Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haven Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Grocery Stores (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilcox Saloon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Volusia County Historic Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in DeLand.
 
More about this marker. At the time of this page's submission to the database, the site of the first movie house is occupied by Cress Restaurant. The building is located in the Downtown DeLand Historic District (a National Historic District).
 
Categories. EntertainmentIndustry & Commerce
 
Site of First Movie House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
3. Site of First Movie House
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement