HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
 
Inscription. This one-story Victorian Gothic structure dates back to 1870. The cornerstone of the church indicates that the building was constructed in 1870 with the basement added in 1890. This suggests that the original wooden church was raised, a basement added, and then the entire structure bricked-in. St. John AME Church was originally named St. John Chapel and its congregation descended from that of St. James AME church in Columbus. The congregation was forced to move to a new site when the historic structure was severely damaged by a tornado. The Faith Tabernacle Full Gospel Outreach Church bought the St. John AME Church in 1993, committed to its restoration.
 
Erected 1994 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Faith Tabernacle Full Gospel Outreach Church.
 
Location. 32° 28.491′ N, 84° 59.16′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Linwood Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on 5th Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1516 5th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Gun (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Linwood Cemetery (approx. mile away); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
 

 
Regarding Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church. Faith Tabernacle Full Outreach Gospel Church did restore the building, as noted on the marker. After an arson fire on April 1, 1998 Faith Tabernacle moved to a different location and changed its name to Faith Worship Center. The church building was again restored after the fire. It was been used by different ministries, but today the building is for rent.
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Looking north on 5th Avenue
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Looking south on 5th Avenue toward downtown Columbus
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstones Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
6. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstones
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
7. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The early cornerstone, stating the building was erected by the Rev. John G. Mitchell and the basement was erected by Rev. M. Smith in 1890.
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
8. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The left-most cornerstone, stating that the building was remodeled in 1908 (possibly when it was bricked in) by the Pastor, Rev. J. T. Hall, D.D.
 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
9. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The last cornerstone, mentioning the tornado damage which left the building standing vacant without windows, belltower steeple, or roof. In 1992 the building was purchased and renovated by Larry U. Bussey, a Columbus property investor.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 290 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 234 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.