“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodville in Tyler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Tyler County

(Crossroads to East Texas)

Tyler County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
1. Tyler County Marker
Inscription. Home ground of civilized tribes of Indians. Visited 1756 by Spanish explorers, who were trying to keep French trading expeditions out of Texas. Site in 1831 of Fort Teran, commanded by Colonel Ellis Peter Bean, famous and colorful adventurer. The county was created and organized in 1846. It was named for President John Tyler, who signed the resolution to annex Texas to the United States. A 200-acre plot for a county seat was donated by a leading early settler, Josiah Wheat. It was named "Woodville" for George T. Wood, sponsor of the bill in the First Legislature of Texas which created the county. (Wood later served as Governor of Texas, from 1847 to 1849.) In the "Big Thicket." Home of the annual Dogwood Festival. Economy is based on timber, oil, livestock. First county officials: William P. Sansour, chief justice; Ezekiel Green, George Kirkwood, Angelina Parker, Ivy Taylor, commissioners; James Sapp, sheriff: James Barclay, tax assessor and collector; J. Dobb and William Gray, justices of the peace; Harmon Frazier, surveyor; John C. Arnett, treasurer.

1966 county officials: Jeff R. Mooney, county judge; Joe I. Best, F.C. Hicks, Leon Fowler, H.H. Powell, commissioners; J.F. Boyd, treasure; Tom Sawyer, county clerk; A.L. Thornton, tax assessor & collector; Clyde E. Smith, Jr., county attorney; Grady Ray, sheriff; B.M.
Tyler County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
2. Tyler County Marker
Beside Tyler County Courthouse.
Minter, county school superintendent; Hilda Coats, district clerk; Joe H. Loggins, E. E. Sheffield, Clarence Woodrome, L. L. Parrish, justices of the peace.
Erected 1966 by State historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11458.)
Location. 30° 46.512′ N, 94° 24.924′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is on U.S. 190 west of U.S. 69, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. Bluff Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodville Academy and Woodville College (a few steps from this marker); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (a few steps from this marker); Tyler County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Home of James Edward Wheat (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Categories. GovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 592 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo or clarification of where the "1966 county officials: Jeff R. Mooney,...etc." text is located as it is not on the marker front, jmb 10.7.16 • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement