Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
University of Wisconsin Field House
Arthur Peabody, Architect
Designated May 19, 2009
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 178.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.105′ N, 89° 24.741′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Street and Regent Street, on the right when traveling south on Monroe Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1450 Monroe Street, Madison WI 53711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pat Richter (within shouting distance of this marker); Barry Alvarez (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Randall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Terrace Homes Apartments (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fire Station #4 (approx. ¼ mile away); Edward Klief Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Morehouse House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ely House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Regarding University of Wisconsin Field House. The University of Wisconsin Field House, designed by architect Arthur Peabody (with staff William F. Stevens and John Knudsen) and built in 1929-1930, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The University Field House was expertly designed in the Renaissance Revival style by the Staff of the State Architect’s office and was intended to provide both physical training facilities for the UW student body as well as a place where sporting events could take place. Its design is an excellent example of the numerous Renaissance Revival style buildings that Peabody developed for the
"The Field House was designed to replace the UW Stock Pavilion as the principle center for the UW’s large scale cultural events. Bands, orchestras, graduations and popular entertainers have all taken place within the Field House. The University Basketball team, playing their games in the Armory and gymnasium since 1892, was quickly outgrowing the space and discussions about building a new field house became a priority for Athletic Director George Little. Following the success of the football team and the growing popularity of events in Camp Randall Stadium, the UW Regents decided to build the new Field House adjacent to Camp Randall. As both a University and community gathering place and as a symbol of the University athletics, the Field House has historically played an important part in the life of both the University and the City of Madison."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for Madison sandstone buildings.
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Education • Entertainment • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.