“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Opera House


The Opera House Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. The Opera House Marker
Inscription. This corner was the site of DeLand's first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877 by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the West Indies, who escaped with his family during a native uprising in 1870. With his newspaper, Codrington became important to the development of semi-tropic agricultural in Florida. From these two early newspapers came the E.O. Painter Printing Company, believed to be the oldest continuing printing business in Florida. In 1910 the wood structure was replaced with this brick building, part of which contained the DeLand Opera House, a center for plays and musical entertainment.
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
Location. 29° 1.803′ N, 81° 18.218′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92) north of Rich Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the outside of the building, along the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 North Woodland Boulevard, Deland FL 32720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
The Opera House image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. The Opera House
Today, the upper floors of the building serves as residential apartments, while businesses operate at street level. The historical marker is seen on the side of the building, just beyond Paul Hunter's Restaurant.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Circa 1885 (a few steps from this marker); Early Grocery Stores (within shouting distance of this marker); First Movie House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Post Office (about 400 feet away); First Public Building (about 400 feet away); Landis-Fish Building (about 400 feet away); First Commercial Store (about 400 feet away); The Haven Block (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in DeLand.
Regarding The Opera House. At the time of this page's submission to the database, the first floor of the opera house building is home to various businesses, including a restaurant and a computer store. the upper floors have been converted into apartments.

The building's demand as a performing arts venue lessened upon the opening of the nearby Athens Theatre in 1922.
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicCommunicationsEntertainmentHorticulture & Forestry
The DeLand Opera House Building image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
3. The DeLand Opera House Building
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,008 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement