“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chilhowie in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)


Chilhowie Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
1. Chilhowie Marker
Inscription. About 1748, Colonel James Patton patented land here and reportedly hoped this site would one day become a town. The region became known as Town House for a house known by this name that stood nearby. By the Revolutionary War, a settlement of the same name began to develop around the house. In 1856, the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad arrived and the settlement was renamed Greever’s Switch for a local resident. The community’s name was changed to Chilhowie in the late 1880s at the suggestion of George Palmer. Chilhowie is believed to be an Indian word meaning either “home of many deer” or “valley of many deer.” The town was incorporated in 1913.
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-22.)
Location. 36° 47.837′ N, 81° 41.064′ W. Marker is in Chilhowie, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on West Lee Highway (U.S. 11) just west of Whitetop Road (Virginia Route 107), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Interstate 81’s Exit 35 is Whitetop Road, a couple of blocks from the marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 276 W Lee Hwy, Chilhowie VA 24319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Chilhowie Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
2. Chilhowie Marker
flies. Farthest West, 1750 (here, next to this marker); Town House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Chilhowie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx. ¾ mile away); William Campbell’s Grave (approx. 2.5 miles away); Seven Mile Ford (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mrs. Eliza M. Jones (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chilhowie.
More about this marker. This marker replaced a 1940 marker with the same name and number which read, “An Indian name meaning ‘Valley of Many Deer.’ Land was patented here by Colonel James Patton, 1746; Samuel Stalnaker, first settler, built a home here in 1750. In 1804 Robert Gannaway came here and in 1815 opened Chilhowie Springs. When the railroad came the town was called Greever’s Switch, later changed to Chilhowie. It was incorporated, 1913.”
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement