Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Grand Trunk Railway
The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to run from Sarnia to Portland, Maine. Although it took over existing lines, new ones had to be built, including sections of the key Toronto to Montréal line completed by the noted English engineering firm of Peto, Brassey, Jackson and Betts in 1856. The Prescott station, built about 1855, is a typical example of the smaller stations erected by this firm for the Grand Trunk Railway. Influenced by English designs, the station is an enduring monument to early Canadian railway enterprise.
Erected 1982 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 44° 42.656′ N, 75° 31.47′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Railway Avenue and St-Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling west on Railway Avenue. Click for map. Marker is attached to the old Grand Trunk Railway Station, to the right of the entrance. The station now houses the Greenville County Historical Society. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Railway Avenue, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir Richard William Scott (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott Capture of Ogdensburg (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Prescott Barracks and Hospital (approx. one kilometer away); Major James Morrow Walsh (approx. one kilometer away); Prescott War Memorial (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Fort Wellington (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Justus Sherwood (approx. 1.2 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
Regarding Grand Trunk Railway. The Former Grand Trunk Railway Station is a one-storey, ashlar masonry railway station built in 1855. It is the largest of nine surviving, mid-19th-century, GTR stations in Ontario, the only one to retain all four of its chimneys. It is an example of a Type A, first class GTR station. Its Italianate style and stone construction are characteristic of first-generation GTR stations. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1973.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 783 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.