Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Aransas in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Aransas Pass

C.S.A.

 
 
Aransas Pass. C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, August 3, 2011
1. Aransas Pass. C.S.A. Marker
Inscription. Aransas Pass, The natural inlet (3 miles) to Aransas Bay, separates San Jose and Mustang Islands. These islands are part of a chain of barrier islands which extend along the entire length of Texas' coastal mainland.

At the beginning of the civil war countless small vessels transported Confederate supplies up and down the Texas and Northern Mexican coast virtually undisturbed by Federal Naval Forces. Cotton destined for foreign markets moved freely through Aransas Pass. By early 1861 a Union blockade had halted trafficking by confederate vessels beyond the barrier islands. However, Confederate supplies inside the barrier chain continued and inlets such as Aransas Pass became sites of increasingly strategic military value.

The Aransas Pass area came under the control of Federal Captain J.W. Kittredge's naval forces until his capture in September 1862. In November 1863 a massive Federal force gained control of the South Texas Coast from the Rio Grande to Matagorda Bay.

Eventually, Federal forces lost control of the mainland behind Aransas Pass and in June 1864 withdrew fromt he area. Afterward, Confederate ships successfully eluded the Federal blockade and delivered vital supplies to the Coonfederacy by way of Aransas Pass.
 
Erected by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Area near the Aransas Pass. C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Henderson, August 3, 2011
2. Area near the Aransas Pass. C.S.A. Marker
Number 185.)
 
Location. 27° 50.479′ N, 97° 3.786′ W. Marker is in Port Aransas, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on Port Street near West Cotter Street, on the right. Click for map. The marker is located in the City Park of Port Aransas near the ferries. Marker is in this post office area: Port Aransas TX 78373, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Coastal Defenses at the Aransas Pass (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Coast Guard on Mustang Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Cementerio San Antonio de Padua (approx. 7.5 miles away); Site of Heldenfels Shipyard (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Hagarís Rockport Cottages (approx. 11.6 miles away); The Cedars (approx. 11.8 miles away); The Old Beach Road (approx. 12.1 miles away); Baylor-Norvell House (approx. 12.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Aransas.
 
Categories. Natural FeaturesWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement