Port Aransas in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
U.S. Coast Guard on Mustang Island
In January 1915, President Woodrow Wilson signed a Congressional Act combining the Colonial Era Revenue Cutter Service and the Life Saving Service (Est. 1878) into the U.S. Coast Guard. In times of war, the Coast Guard joined the Nation's Military. During WW II, the primary lifesaving mission at Mustang Island grew to encompass the Ports, waterways, coastal security mission that required the Coast Guard to watch for enemy naval activity. Roving Coast Guardsmen and canine patrols monitored against incursion my enemy agents and saboteurs.
In the early 21st Century, the war on terrorism altered the primary Life
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15257.)
Location. 27° 50.461′ N, 97° 3.754′ W. Marker is in Port Aransas, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of Port Street and West Cotter Street, on the right on Port Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Aransas TX 78373, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aransas Pass (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Coastal Defenses at the Aransas Pass (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cementerio San Antonio de Padua (approx. 7.6 miles away); Site of Heldenfels Shipyard (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Hagarís Rockport Cottages (approx. 11.6 miles away); The Cedars (approx. 11.8 miles away); The Old Beach Road (approx. 12.1 miles away); Baylor-Norvell House (approx. 12.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Aransas.
More about this marker. Located near the Harbor in Port Aransas. Coordinates are approximate.
Categories. • Military • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. This page has been viewed 395 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Henderson of Marble Falls, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?