“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Delaware Railroad

The Delaware Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. The Delaware Railroad Marker
Inscription. From the earliest days of rail construction in this country, the advantages of linking the Delmarva Peninsula to the expanding urban markets of the nation were obvious. In 1836 the General Assembly chartered the Delaware Railroad for the purpose of building a line from a junction with the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad in the north to the southern border of the state. After a long delay due to poor economic conditions, construction commenced in 1854. On December 11, 1856, a large crowd gathered here for the formal opening of the line to the banks of the Nanticoke River. With connections via the river to the Chesapeake Bay, and links to trade with the South, the tiny village of Seaford experienced a period of unprecedented growth and expansion. Tracks were extended to the state line in 1859, and in 1884 the dream of uniting Delaware with the peninsular portions of Maryland and Virginia was realized when the rails finally reached the shores of Cape Charles, Virginia. For many years to come, the railroad would bring economic prosperity to Seaford and the surrounding region.
Erected 2007 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-218.)
Location. 38° 38.397′ N, 75° 36.89′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware
The Delaware Railroad image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. The Delaware Railroad
Looking south along the tracks at the Seaford station in the distance. This section of track is called The Delmarva Secondary. It has been operated by several railroads including - but not limited to - the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Penn Central Railroad and the Southern Railway. Trains are currently operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway. Rail passenger service ended in the early 1960's.
, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling east on High Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Seaford Post Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seaford Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Forty & Eight Boxcar (approx. 0.4 miles away); Nanticoke Post No. 6 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Seaford.
Also see . . .
1. History of the Seaford Railroad Station. A 5th grade SPARK project including history and pictures of Seaford Station. (Submitted on April 7, 2008, by Matt Gholson of Houston, Texas.) 

2. Rails Along The Chesapeake: A History of Railroading on the Delmarva Peninsula 1827 - 1978. Book by John C. Hayman available on (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.) 

3. Rails Along The Chesapeake. Book by Anne Tufts available on (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.) 

4. Eastern Shore Railroad (VA) (Images of Rail). (Submitted on October 15, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,233 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A picture of the Seaford station. • Also, a picture of the junction with the Maryland and Delaware Railroad line to Federalsburg and Cambridge (assuming that the MD & DE still exists). • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement