Rocky Mount in Nash County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rocky Mount Mills
Erected 1937 by North Carolina Office of Archives & History. (Marker Number E-7.)
Location. 35° 57.546′ N, 77° 48.18′ W. Marker is in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, in Nash County. Marker is on Falls Road (State Highway 43/48), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located on the south side of the Tar River bridge. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1150 Falls Road, Rocky Mount NC 27804, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rocky Mount Mills School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Falls Road Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donaldson's Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Bethel Heroes" (approx. ľ mile away); First Post Office of Rocky Mount (approx. 0.3 miles away); Falls of the Tar Church (approx. half a mile away); Operation Dixie (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rocky Mount.
Regarding Rocky Mount Mills. Rocky Mount Mills, the second cotton mill in North Carolina (after the Schenck-Warlick Mill in Lincoln County), was built in 1818 on a 20-acre
Slaves and a few free African Americans supplied the labor at Rocky Mount Mills from the earliest days until about 1852, when the Battles began to substitute white workers, many of whom were women and children. By that time local slaveowners were less inclined to hire their slaves out for factory work and local white men found the work “humiliating.” Eventually becoming a more desirable place of employment, a village of “neat white cottages” for factory workers grew up in the vicinity of the mill.
A large industrial complex, Rocky Mount Mills was raided by Brigadier General Edward E. Potterís Union cavalry on July 20, 1863. The mills, outbuildings, cotton, and yarn were destroyed by fire. William Battle rebuilt Rocky Mount Mills on the original foundation between 1866 and 1867. The new brick building, four stories with a basement, burned in 1869. Battle again rebuilt the mills. During the height of its nineteenth
In 1883 financial difficulties led William Battle to relinquish control of the mill. Thomas A. Battle, great-grandson of Joel Battle, was secretary to the millís new board of trustees. He eventually became president and the mills thrived under his leadership. Battle constructed additional buildings in 1889 and 1894. When Rocky Mount Mills closed in 1996, it was believed to be the oldest operating cotton mill in the South. It now comprises a local historic district and is undergoing redevelopment. In 2007 Capitol Broadcasting Company of Raleigh purchased between 50 and 60 acres of the complex, comprised of 300,000 square feet of mill and factory buildings, 30 mill village houses and 30 vacant lots.
(North Carolina Office of Archives & History )
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.