Marine on St. Croix in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Marine Township Hall
After the official abolishment of Marine Township in 1895, the "Stone House" led a varied career as school, storage quarters, and community center.
The structure received architectural recognition in 1934 when the National Historic American Buildings Survey chose it as an outstanding example of the Swedish stone work of early Minnesota settlers and recorded its architectural measurements in the Library of Congress.
In 1963 the Town Hall became a museum operated by the Women's Civic Club of Marine.
Erected by the Minnesota Historical Society
Erected 1968 by the Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at the Stonehouse Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 241 5th Street, Marine on Saint Croix MN 55047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marine (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Marine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marine Mill Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Technological Revolution (approx. 0.2 miles away); Boom, Then Bust (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pineries are Gone (approx. ¼ mile away); Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill (approx. ¼ mile away); Powerhouse and Kiln (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Marine on St. Croix.
Also see . . . Stonehouse Museum. (Submitted on August 10, 2011.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.