Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midland in Midland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Upper Bridge

 
 
The Upper Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 4, 2011
1. The Upper Bridge Marker
Inscription. When completed in 1908 the Upper Bridge, today known as the Currie Parkway Bridge, replaced its wooden predecessor as the main crossing over the Tittabawassee River. The Joliet Bridge and Iron Company of Illinois constructed the bridge for $7,500. It is a 140-foot-long steel Pratt through-truss bridge. In 1955 the Karl B. Robertson Bridge, built one-quarter mile to the south, succeeded the Upper Bridge as the city's main river crossing. In order to preserve the Upper Bridge, the city added an independent structural arch in 1988.
 
Erected 1991. (Marker Number L1581.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 37.06′ N, 84° 15.128′ W. Marker is in Midland, Michigan, in Midland County. Marker is at the intersection of Currie Parkway and West Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Currie Parkway. Click for map. The marker is about 0.3 miles north of State Highway 20 (Jerome Street). Marker is in this post office area: Midland MI 48640, United States of America.
 
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts
 
The Upper Bridge and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 4, 2011
2. The Upper Bridge and Marker
The Upper Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 4, 2011
3. The Upper Bridge
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement