Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chilhowie in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Town House

 
 
Town House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
1. Town House Marker
Inscription. As early as 1754 a house was built on this hill, and was used as a fort and meeting place by settlers. This is the site of the first settlement in this region.
 
Erected by State C. and D. Comm. Sycamore No. 117-K Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 36° 47.834′ N, 81° 41.069′ W. Marker is in Chilhowie, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on West Lee Highway (U.S. 11) just west of Whitetop Road (Virginia Route 107), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This marker is a couple of blocks from Interstate 81 Exit 35. Marker is at or near this postal address: 276 W Lee Hwy, Chilhowie VA 24319, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Farthest West, 1750 (here, next to this marker); Chilhowie (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Chilhowie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx.
Town House Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
2. Town House Monument
ĺ mile away); William Campbellís Grave (approx. 2.5 miles away); Seven Mile Ford (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mrs. Eliza M. Jones (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chilhowie.
 
Also see . . .  Smyth County Frontier Trail. “Taverns were once located roughly 17 miles apart on the Wilderness Road, about the same as a modern-day Appalachian Trail through hikerís daily trek. Some ruins of one tavern, the Town House, still remain here in present day Chilhowie, formerly called the Town House community. These ruins can be viewed from adjacent Beattie Cemetery along Hwy. 107.” (Submitted on August 10, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
Farthest West Marker and Town House Monument image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 29, 2011
3. Farthest West Marker and Town House Monument
The Town House Monument faces the Highway behind the trash can at the center right of the photograph.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the ruins of Town House off Route 107. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement