Oxon Hill in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
in Congress Assembled, 1781-2,
died November 15, 1783, at
The original mansion house, built
by the Addison family, was burned
February 6, 1895.
Erected 1967 by State Roads Commission.
Location. 38° 48.187′ N, 76° 59.596′ W. Marker is in Oxon Hill, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Oxon Hill Road (Maryland Route 414) 0.3 miles east of Indian Head Highway (Maryland Route 210), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxon Hill MD 20745, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War All Around (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oxon Cove Park and Oxon Hill Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Salubria" (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sweet Sorghum (approx. ¾ mile away); Why a Brick Stable? (approx. 0.8 miles away); Root Cellar (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wheat and Tobacco (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Burning of Washington, D.C. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Oxon Hill.
More about this marker. The marker and its pole were
Regarding John Hanson. John Hanson was born in Port Tobacco, Maryland on April, 14, 1715, the namesake of his grandfather who came to Maryland from England as an indentured servant. He followed the family tradition as a planter, extending and improving his holdings.
He was the third of ten men to serve, under the Articles of Confederation, in the ill-defined office of “President of the United States in Congress Assembled.” None functioned as “commander-in-chief” (George Washington continued in this capacity until after the Revolutionary War ended) nor did any exercise much other executive power during their one year terms of office, where they presided over the Congress of Confederation.
As “President of the United States in Congress Assembled,” Hanson was the first to serve a full one-year term, the first elected by the 13 Original States' Delegates serving under the Articles of Confederation, and the first chosen to the office after the British surrender at Yorktown. Tradition also holds that Hanson was the first “President” to use that title in its executive connotation and to be recognized internationally as the national government’s “head of state.” Even then, he considered
Hanson’s grave site has been lost, but he is presumed to rest somewhere near the great manor house constructed in 1928 by Sumner Welles (U.S. Undersecretary of State, 1933-42) on the grounds of what had been Thomas Addison’s huge tobacco plantation (approximately 14,000 acres, overlooking the Potomac River and operating with some 71 slaves around the time of Hanson’s last visit), “Oxon Hill.”
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. John Hanson. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. John Hanson myths. (Submitted on March 15, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 7,030 times since then and 208 times this year. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.