Boonville in Cooper County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Boonville's first settlers were pioneer Mother Hannah Allison Cole and her 9 children who located on the Missouri River bluffs where St. Joseph Hospital now stands, 1810. Hannah, whose husband William T. Cole was killed by Indians, ran first river ferry here. In the War of 1812, her place served a wide area as a neigborhood fort.
Boonville, on trails west and southwest, was laid out in 1817 by Charles Lucas and Asa Morgan and named for Daniel Boone. It became the seat of Cooper County, 1819. Second county in the Boons Lick Region, it was organized, 1818, and named for pioneer Sarshall Cooper. Boonville grew as a river port, distribution point, and cultural center. Thespian Hall (Lyric), oldest theater in use in Mississippi Valley, was built, 1855-57. In 1844, a boarding school opened which is today known as The Kemper School. The first State Fair was held here in 1853.
The Battle of Boonville, first engagement of the War Between the States in Missouri, occurred near town, June 17, 1861. Federals under Gen. Nathaniel Lyon routed untrained State Guards under Gen. John S. Marmaduke.
(See other side)
(Continued from other side)
Boonville, in an upland prairie county of grain and livestock farming, is in territory ceded by Osage tribes. Settlers form
Points of interest are the town's historic markers; Harley City Park; Christ Episcopal Church (1846); Walnut Grove Cemetery. Mo. Training School for Boys dates from 1889. Atop an Indian mound near mouth of the Lamine, in Cooper County, is grave of fur trader, first Mo. Lt. Gov. William H. Ashley. South is Chouteau Springs, part of the land given Pierre Chouteau by the Osage, 1792. At Rocky Cut, near Otterville, the James and Younger Boys robbed a train, July 7, 1876.
Here was born William M. Williams, Mo. Supreme Court Justice; Lon V. Stephens, Gov. of Mo., 1897-1901; Walter Williams, journalist, educator. Here lived David Barton, first Mo. U.S. Senator; Jacob F. Gmelich, Lt. Gov., 1909-13; George G. Vest, lawyer, statesman; George C. Bingham, Mo. artist; C. C. Bell, horticulturist.
Erected 1959 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 38° 57.48′ N, 92° 43.117′ W. Marker is in Click for map. Marker is at a roadside pulloff on the southwest side of the road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18833 Missouri Route 87, Boonville MO 65233, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Battle of Boonville (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Boonville (approx. 1.5 miles away); Hannah Cole's Fort (approx. 1.5 miles away); Thespian Hall (approx. 1.7 miles away); Capture of Union Troops (approx. 1.7 miles away); David Barton (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hannah Allison Cole (approx. 1.9 miles away); James Milton Turner (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boonville.
Also see . . .
1. History of Boonville, Missouri. (Submitted on August 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Friends of Historic Boonville. (Submitted on August 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. First Battle of Boonville. (Submitted on August 13, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 595 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.