“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blakely in Early County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Old Factory Creek

Old Factory Creek Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 10, 2003
1. Old Factory Creek Marker
Inscription. In 1855, Anthony Hutchins and a group of local citizens built a two-story cotton mill of handmade bricks, fired in Early County, on the north side of Harrod's Creek. The mill, known as the Early County Manufacturing Company, was constructed to spin the cotton produced in the area. It was powered from the falls on Harrod's Creek. Thread from the factory was sold to the W.C Bradley Company in Columbus, GA. The mill operated for two decades before closing in 1876. Trespassers burned the abandoned structure on March 17, 1927. Over time the name of the creek changed from "Harrod's" to "Old Factory."
Erected 2002 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Early County Historical Society.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 31° 26.04′ N, 85° 2.751′ W. Marker was in Blakely, Georgia, in Early County. Marker was on County Route 141 1.5 miles north of County Route 244, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Blakely GA 39823, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Three Notch Trail (approx. 4.9 miles away); Kolomoki Mounds Archaeological Area (approx. 6.2 miles away); Reuben Hicklin Hall Log Home / Robert Fowler Hall Home (approx. 6.3 miles away in Alabama); Showplace of the South (approx. 6.4 miles away in Alabama); Kolomoki Mounds State Park 4 mi. (approx. 7.2 miles away); Confederate Flag Pole (approx. 7.6 miles away); Early County (approx. 7.7 miles away); a different marker also named Three Notch Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Blakely.
More about this marker. The original marker was placed on 10-31-1980. The marker was damaged beyond repair by vandals. A new marker was erected in 2002, with a slightly different text. That marker has since been stolen.

On August 14, 2011, there was no evidence that the marker ever existed -- the post has been removed.
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 962 times since then and 90 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement