Near Martinsburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Warren Historic Site
Following the war, free blacks and former slaves purchased land in the area and developed a community of 30-40 homesteads. At the center of the community three principal institutions of historical significance were erected, a church, the Warren Methodist Episcopal Church, a one-room schoolhouse, the Martinsburg Negro School, and a benefit society lodge hall, the Loving Charity Lodge.
On January 22, 1876 this site was purchased for $50. In 1903 the existing church was built at a cost of $150.00 and named in memory of Isaac Warren a member of the first board of trustees of the church. The Martinsburg Negro School was built in 1886 serving grades 1-5 with 40-50 students attending classes. The Loving Charity Lodge Hall was built in 1914. The Loving Charity Society was founded to provide sick and burial events for free blacks and former slaves who were not able to purchase these forms of coverage from insurance
These three building were the anchor for the new thriving Martinsburg community and served as the center for religious worship, educational development, and social interaction for the residents of the area.
The Warren Historic District Site Committee, Inc., takes pride in preserving these valuable historic assets and maintaining the cultural heritage of the African American community which they represent.
Location. 39° 9.829′ N, 77° 28.46′ W. Marker is near Martinsburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Whites Ferry Road (State Road 107) and Martinsburg Road on Whites Ferry Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poolesville MD 20837, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White’s Ford (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named White's Ford (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named White’s Ford (approx. 2.1 miles away); Seneca Stone Barn Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (approx. 2.4 miles away); White’s Ferry (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named White’s Ferry (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Warren Historic Site. (Submitted on January 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,573 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.