Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vevay in Switzerland County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse

 
 
Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
1. Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.
Top

Martha A. Graham

( Drawing of the River Paddle-wheeler. )


Lower Section

Designed in the Greek Classic style by David Dubach, Architect, and built by John Haley c. 1864, with restoration completed c. 1992. It is said the dungeon served as an “underground railroad” during the Civil War.
 
Erected by Switzerland County Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 44.806′ N, 85° 4.121′ W. Marker is in Vevay, Indiana, in Switzerland County. Marker is on West Main Street west of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located at the curb in front (south) of the Switzerland County Courthouse in Vevay, Indiana. Marker is in this post office area: Vevay IN 47043, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Switzerland County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Switzerland County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Dungeon (a few steps from this marker); Switzerland County Honor Roll Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Styles and Stories of Vevay's Buildings
Obverse Side - - Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
2. Obverse Side - - Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Privy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jail (about 300 feet away); The Masterson House (approx. 6 miles away in Kentucky). Click for a list of all markers in Vevay.
 
Also see . . .  Steam Ferry Boats: between Ghent -and- Vevay::. (Submitted on August 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRNotable Buildings
 
Paul W. Ogle - - Tribute Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
3. Paul W. Ogle - - Tribute Plaque
Text reads:

A tribute to Paul W. Ogle

We, the citizens of Switzerland County, do hereby set forth this expression of deepest appreciation and sincere gratitude to a great philanthropist, Paul W. Ogle, who through his foresight and benevolence restored pride to the community.

The Ogle Haus Inn, which he built, and finances he provided for the restoration of the Switzerland County Court House and other civic-minded projects, those completed and others planned for the oncoming years, have brought National acclaim and recognition to this area and enhanced its economic and social well-being.

June 18, 1907 –– March 21, 1989
Front - - Switzerland County Courthouse - Vevay, Indiana image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
4. Front - - Switzerland County Courthouse - Vevay, Indiana
The marker can be seen at the curb entry side-walk in this photo. Also, the Paul W. Ogle - Tribute Plaque can be seen on the exterior wall -- on the right side of the courthouse front entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement