Silesia in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Broad Creek Historic District
The Broad Creek area's historical significance is derived from several factors. It includes the original land grant of Battersea; the site of the town of Aire, one of six towns established by the Maryland General Assembly in 1706 as ports for the shipping of tobacco; and St. John's Episcopal Church, established in 1692, the present building dating from 1766. St. John's is considered to be the "mother church" of other Episcopal churches in the region.
The District also includes three early to mid-18th century landmark buildings: Harmony Hall (a Georgian manor dating from 1723), Piscataway House (a frame structure c. 1750, which was moved from Piscataway to avoid its demolition) and the ruins of Want Water (a frame and brick dwelling c. 1710). The surroundings of these important buildings
Erected by Prince George's County.
Location. 38° 44.601′ N, 76° 59.982′ W. Marker is in Silesia, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Livingston Road 0 miles north of Fort Washington Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. From from the Capital Beltway (I-95/495), take Indian Head Highway (MD 210) south and turn right [west] at Fort Washington Road. Livingston Road is at the first signal light. Turn right [north] at this intersection and then left into the Harmony Hall Regional Center (John Addison Concert Hall) parking lot. The Marker is at the south end of the lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10701 Livingston Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Silesia School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prince Georgeís County - St. Johnís Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chapel Hill (approx. “Coach” James W. Crawford (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Foote (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Foote (approx. 2.3 miles away); King's Depression Carriage (approx. 2.3 miles away); Northwest Bastion (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Regarding Broad Creek Historic District. The historic district lies between Livingston Road and Broad Creek, extending north from Fort Washington Road to Oxon Hill Road. Be aware that Livingston Road is a meandering, two lane country road through the Historic District - with a very narrow shoulder north of the Harmony Hall Regional Center - quaint, but possibly hazardous due to the sometimes heavy commuter traffic.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Broad Creek, Prince George's County, Maryland. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. John Addison Concert Hall, Harmony Hall Regional Center. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Natural Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,304 times since then. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 9, 10. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.